the new release is here. The crafting system is almost done, and most of the elements are already ingame. Here are the new features:
New Texture Pack
A whole new texture pack by kupu has been added to the game. It is called "Default", and as the name implies will be the new default texture pack.
A debris effect has been added to the game when taking out blocks. The game will spawn in debris modeled by Keaton (Omni).
It's made in a way to be as fast as possible for the computer. It is a client only effect so it wont affect servers in any way. It will also automatically adapt to the cpu performance, so the faster your performance is, the more debris will be kept around. There might be still some issues on spawning in larger amounts at once on slower machines, but I will sort those out. You can also just switch the debris off in the ingame options if you set the debris lifetime to 0.
Display block styles
Upon clicking on a display block (which now has a better texture), you can now change the color and the font size. Furthermore you can now use variables like shields and shield capacity as well as power of the ship in the text. More variables will of course follow. Display blocks now also save correctly in the blueprints.
The lighting system has been overhauled. The first thing is, you will no longer see any change of lighting indoors when the ship is moving. Also, dynamic shadows will no longer darken indoor areas when turned on.
Furthermore occlusion light and light source light have been separated and extended to increase lighting quality by a lot.
An option has been added (at startup) to customize the amount of raytracing rays used by the lighting system. Increasing this will not impact your fps, it will just take longer for chunks to update lighting (or load in at start). The higher the number, the finer the light will look.
The logic issues have been fixed. Signals now will only delegate if their state was changed. Because they forwarded before, logic could have a lot of false loops in them causing the logic circuit to be unusable, Loading of logic has been optimized so it should come in a lot faster.
Further optimization to system logic has been done to increase speed of loading the ship systems up and decrease its memory usage.
Several more optimizations have been done on various places.
As always, if there are any immediate problems, please report them in the support chat and I'll try to fix it as soon as possible.
Thanks for playing StarMade,
Here is the full bug changelog since the last release (Keep in mind that "resolved" are not confirmed yet (fix not tested))
As Schema mentioned a few days ago, we are holding a contest to select the new default NPC stations for the Trading Guild, Pirates, and Abandoned stations. We have written up some further information for you reguarding the types of stations and how/where to submit your entry. You can find these details, and post your entry (once you upload it) in comments to this thread.
Keep up with this thread even if your not submitting, as there will be some amazing entrys, and the community will have the opportunity to vote for their favorites to make it into the vanilla build.
we are working hard on the new crafting system, which will also include a change to world generation to make it a lot more flexible. The new system will give the game the ability to place resources inside any type of rock, soil, or other terrain type blocks. This will make the system of handling those ores much more smooth and logical. Also the graphical limitation not being able to of place for example ore in a red rock will be gone, which will make asteroids and planets look much more uniform. We also plan new and more dynamic types of planets.
This means that the after the L2-L5 ores already changed, the L1 ore will soon turn into pure rock types. Please be sure to sell them if you don't need it.
The build is currently in transition to the new system which takes a little time to get right, so I apologize in front for any instability and glitches.
But now to the new features:
Found in the "decoration" category, this block can be placed anywhere in the game. It will basically display its text content to a screen on the outside. The screen position depends on the orientation of the display blocks. It is made using starmade's streaming capabilities to use private channels and "request only what you see" to minimize impact on performance and network. Press R on a display block to edit its content. The editor is a little wonky still so your text might get cut of in it (but still is considered valid if you write on). Also, kupu already made a way better version of the background screen, which will follow soon.
Custom station spawning
In this build, admins will be finally able to customize station spawning. There is a new directory "blueprints-stations" in the main dir of starmade. in there there are 3 subfolders "pirate", "neutral", and "trading-guild" (those folders might not exist when updating, since there are no defaults yet, so you can create them if needed). Depending on the location, blueprint folders from that locations will be taken to replace the default station (which is still used if the folders are empty), and the content is spawned with the according faction.
We will also soon make a contest for stations to put as a default in the vanilla version.
Over 20 bugs have also been fixed for this version. Check out the full history in bugs.star-made.org.
Thanks for playing StarMade,
I apologize for the kind of fragmented updates. I hurried the rollback bugfix, as every day players were losing some work.
This update should finally make the Player Mail System usable. There was a bug with names containing uppercase letters not being saved correctly in the database. Also there was a client crash happening when clicking on "reply".
Also, Importing sectors should now work again (but untested)
Furthermore, the logic block problems should now be fixed. Those problem arose with a rather big feature I forgot to mention in the last update. Active logic will now save its exact state when unloading and reactivate when the sector containing the logic-structure gets reloaded.
Sorry again for the inconveniences. Should there be any more follow-up bugs I'll fix them asap.
Thanks for playing StarMade,
another update is done. This update should finally fix the rollback (saving) bug, that was happening on servers for some time. I can't say yet if it's 100% fixed as there is no real method to trigger it on purpose, but I'm fairly confident.
The crafting system is also mostly done in terms of implementation (it's not yet active in game though).
Players (and the system) can now finally send mail to other players even if they are not online. All data is stored in the database and consistent over logouts or server restarts.
You can open the message panel with F4 (until i find a better spot in the GUI). A message will popup if you have new mail.
Also as a first application for system mail, all players of the affected factions will now receive mail if war is declared.
Fixes and Balance
Several fixes have been done. You can look up the exact status at http://bugs.star-made.org.
Thrust and shields have been buffed more.
For people wanting thrust to less effect the max speed on servers with high max speed, please ask your admin to lower the linear damping. A new default value has been set, but it will not apply on existing servers (only when installing new).
As always: Nothing is final and more balancing is still to be done.
Thanks for playing StarMade,
I'm excited to share with you all a preview of our upcoming texture overhaul.
This overhaul will replace the existing "Realistic" option as a new default, while staying true to the majority of designs to avoid any confusion.
The designs, clarity and tiling of the new textures should not only look prettier, but make more sense visually.
I'll be displaying more in-depth samples here; and will try and answer as many questions as possible should you have any.
As always, thank you for playing Starmade.
Sorry for the small little updates.
Thrust and chield capacity has been buffed.
Thanks for playing StarMade,
- another small hotfix: The method to catch the rollback bug is throwing a false positive.
- repeating undo/redo fixed.
Thanks for playing StarMade,
Not being able to remove blocks has been fixed.
Every time i do a lot of things to dev build there is no problem. But as soon as i do one little thing (one line) untested for release, it's game breaking.
Sorry for the inconvenience
**Edit by Calbiri - Update on the thrust setting is HERE
**Edit by schema - Mac isssue should be resolved. A library was used that were compiled for java7 instead of java6. If you're wondering, why StarMade is using Java6, well, this is the reason ;)
Most of the work in the last week went into the new crafting system, and other new things that are still WIP and not available yet, but will be soon.
However, there are some new features:
New Advanced Build Mode functions,
- Undo/Redo - Players can now undo and redo their last steps of building ships. This makes it a lot easier to correct small mistakes. The size of the undo-queue can be adjusted in settings.cfg if needed.
- Copy/Paste - While still a little wonky when selected, it already serves its purpose. You can now select a region of your structure and paste it as often as you want. For block connections, they are also copied as long as the control block is in the copied area. It doesn't yet work with the symmetry planes, but that will be added soon
- Remove Filter - To quickly refit ships, this option was added. You can use it to select one block type to remove. Remove-Clicking will then only remove that type of block.
- Mass Place Size (10^3) - This may now be set to new sizes in the server config, **placing in large volume has a high risk of lag, be cautious.**
- Shields - Shields are now divided into two blocks, to allow for better balancing. There is now the shield-capacity and the shield-recharge blocks. Current shield blocks on ships will be replaced with shield capacity, so it's advisable to use the new build tools to replace some of them with recharge blocks. Shield Recharge doesn't have a texture yet, but that will be updated in a few days.
- Thrust - This is still in balancing. Thrust has been adjusted with more configurable values to be more in line with the new balance numbers.
- Block HP - Non hull blocks have had a reduction in their HP, this should eventually be followed by a reduction in their mass in a later patch.
- Crafting - The existing crafting system is changing, we are retiring the old "L1-L5" ores and replacing them with a smaller set of minerals, the 8 new metals and crystals are already in the game as the new Crystal and Ingot blocks we introduced recently, the new crafting system will be based on the ores for these as a basic resource. You can still sell off your previous minerals, but you will no longer be able to purchase them from shops. (For additional decorations, try placing the new Capsule items.)
- Collision Damage - Another update has been done on collision damage, the damage effect should now be more realistic, based on the mass/velocity of the 2 entities.
- Asteroid Names - fixed name collision in asteroid files.
- Debugging - Added debug methot to track save-reroll bug.
- Duping - fixed exploit to duplicate blocks (not giving more info.)
There have been a lot of bugs fixed. If you want an overview please visit http://bugs.star-made.org/, you may also post any bugs there that you find in this new patch.
Thanks for playing StarMade,
Schema has uploaded a fix for the weapon combination curves. A calculator to see how a buff/nerf works has been added in the "tools" section of the client startup screen.
Also there are a few fixes:
- AI can now use Missiles and Beams
- Shields are now ignored by pull/push/stop effects (can be edited in the config though if you want to turn it off again)
- /kill_character admin command crash fixed
- some initial changes to the vanilla config. There will soon be more as more feedback comes in.
Please don't panic about some values in the config. We are working to fix it.
Hello and welcome to StarMade,
finally the new update is done. A whole bunch of game changes to features and optimizations have been made.
The most anticipated one is probably the new weapon system:
Based on the ideas and concepts of Calbiri and his discussion partners, this new system will change how ship weapons are designed in StarMade, and how the game is balanced.
First up: We have changed a lot of systems to improve balance. These changes are based on calculating the strength of a system through group sizes and a linear growth of damage done or prevented.
But, if you don't like the current balance, don't worry, you can change it to what you like! (This will apply to many other game settings, using configs to make custom servers and modding far easier.)
Also, our vanilla balance is currently in testing, and is not final yet. We will be always looking for feedback and configs from servers to improve the vanilla version.
The weapon system has been done for a month now, but since I want full moddability and a better way to balance the game, every single value has been externalized into an easily moddable config (/data/blockBehaviorConfig.xml). It turned out to be the right decision, as while I would have been able to push the update out further, balancing would probably in the end be taking at least twice as long as implementing the fully modability.
The config, like e.g. the blockBehaviorConfig is individual per server, and automatically downloaded to the clients. That means, each server can have its own balance and set of rules if they wish to. You can even push config changes live ingame, so a server could for example engage a config that is meant for a certain minigame. Unique config’s per sector/region are also planned.
New Basic Weapons
There are two new basic weapons in the game: A damage pulse, that does area of effect damage to all blocks in range, and the damage beam, that works like the repair beam, only the other way around ^^.
The Cannon (Weapon Computer), Missile (d1000), Damage Pulse, and Damage Beam (names are wip), are the MAIN systems, which can be used in combinations.
This system extends the old weapon system by a huge number of possibilities.
You can connect any MAIN system to any shooting system (salvage, astrotech, etc, as well as all MAIN) to get a change in the weapon behavior.
The effects are fully customizable by the ratio of the blocks you connect. So if you connect a Weapon Computer with 100 AMC to a master Weapon Computer with 200 AMC, you get just 50% of the reload buff, but also only 50% of the damage nerf. This means you can fully customize your weapons exactly the way you like.
Not only can you combine your weapon systems, you can also add an effect to it. Effects change how a weapons damage is applied on impact. There are already 8 effects to choose from and more to come. The effects can be connected to MAIN systems, but you can also use the effects as stand-alone systems to get a defensive bonus on your ship. The same ratio system applies here as well. If you connect a 50-block effect to a 100-block Weapon, you get half of it’s bonus.
-Combination: Converts the weapons damage to instead do damage to the
power of the enemy ship.
-Defensive: Protects against power damage.
-Combination: Adds an explosion effect to the weapon dividing its damage
among 6 blocks at once. Adds extra radius to missiles and pulse.
-Defensive: Protects against unnatural gravity effects like push/pull/stop.
-Combination: Does more damage to shields, at the cost of less damage
done to blocks.
-Defensive: Hardens shields with a % of damage reduction.
-Combination: Adds piercing effect to weapon impacts, damaging blocks
behind the point of impact at the cost of focused block and shield damage.
-Defensive: Protects against piercing and punch through effects.
-Combination: Adds punch-through effect to projectiles destroying
consecutive blocks in a line as long as the projectile has enough damage remaining after the previous block.
-Defensive: Hardens block armor with a % of damage reduction.
-Combination: Add a physical push to your weapons in exchange for less damage overall.
-Defensive: Gives a burst forward to your ship (valuable in battle.)
-Combination: Adds a physical pull to your weapons in exchange for less damage overall.
-Defensive: Gives a burst backwards for your ship (valuable in battle.)
-Combination: Converts dps into a braking effect on your weapons to hold your enemies in place.
-Defensive: Nullifies the effect of natural gravity (e.g. from planets.)
These can be achieved the same as other weapon combinations are, simply link any light emitting block to the primary computer and its projectiles will now be in that color.
New Weapon Panel & GUI changes
To make handling effects and combinations easier, players can now edit them in a completely redesigned weapon panel. With this, you can just drag & drop your prefered weapon together without having to manually connect the parts.
You can also now drag the weapons directly into your hotbar to use.
Enabling a navigation filter now also applies to the target markers you see on screen.
Also, the structure panel is now available for Space Stations, as well as planets.
Furthermore, you can now activate any block in build mode.
Some new admin commands include /give_look and /give_slot these will allow an admin to more easily give specific block types.
Another brand new feature is a fully fleshed out logic system. With this system you can design any functional system you like.
Ever wanted to have blinking lights? Airlocks? Automatic doors? Automatic gravity? Automatic weapons? Traps? A computer in a computer?
These, and much much more are now possible.
There are 6 new blocks available:
Activation block: the main block of logic systems. Sends a signal to whatever it is connected to. Connect it to a door for example, the door will open remotely by activating this module. You have to connect it to each block individually, as more than one block type can be connected.
Not-Block: Takes a signal, inverts it, and sends it. Other than that, it works exactly like the activation block.
And-Block: Takes multiple signals, and sends 'true' if all those incoming signals are 'true' otherwise it sends a ‘false’ signal.
Or-Block: Takes multiple signals, and sends 'true' if at least one incoming signal is 'true', and 'false' is all incoming signals are 'false'.
Delay block: Takes a signal and waits half a second, then sends it. You can achieve higher delay times if you chain these blocks together. These blocks can only store one delayed signal at a time.
Delay (non repeating): Like the delay block, but it will stop after one iteration if placed in a loop.
Planets are now dodecahedrons! Existing planets in old universes will not be replaced, only undiscovered planets will have the new shape.
The reasons for choosing dodecahedrons are: they have the best trade-off between a round shape, and still maintaining the logic of a block based game. Also the implementation does not require a special case for every single thing in the game, which in other „rounder“ options would end up in a situation where I would basically be putting most my resources into implementing planets for a long long time (with doubt that it would even work or be fun to play at the end).
The planet core is the center of the planet. It has hitpoints, and heals very fast if hit. But it can be destroyed. If that happens, the planet will blow up, and all the planet segments will fly off into space (for performance reasons they will not collide with other objects for that time, but they will become physical again once they stop).
If you claim a planet with your faction block, all planet segments will gain that faction signature. But be sure to add faction blocks of the other segments too, so that it’s secure. If made into a homebase, all planet segments as well as the core will be protected.
You can also now name your planet with the faction module on one of the segments. If you want to change the name, on another segment, the first name has to be reset to “Planet” or nothing.
New Decorative blocks
A lot of new decorative blocks have been added with some amazing textures by Tom (Kupu):
All new and improved Normal maps have been added among many other texture and animation fixes. Plex lights now also have an On / Off texture.
New Default Ships
New default ships made by Zero_Sen and Calbiri, using the new weapons, have been added to the default blueprints for the trade guild and pirates to use.
Graphics effects will be added later, when the new particle system is done.
Optimization and Bug fixes
Amongst other small optimizations, a huge physics optimization has been made to ensure further scaling of the game. Especially for huge ships colliding, new algorithms have been implemented to reduce the time taken to search for colliding blocks (in millions of blocks).
Also the physics system will now attempt to solve situations where objects get stuck without warping to give a better ship battle experience. It will now just push the ships outside each other using a low-performance-mode of the physics.
Far over 100 bugs have been fixed over the last months as well. Please go to the StarMade Bug Tracker to get an overview.
The testing has become a lot more efficient and streamlined thanks to AndyP, who did great work setting up and maintaining the new tracker. (I had some trackers before but I always ended up doing everything myself, which kind of defeats the purpose, so I kept a personal tracker only up until now). Thanks to all the testers.
Please be sure to make a backup of your Universe, as bugs might still be happening, because we only have so few testers.
If you want to become a tester, please send a message to AndyP through the forum. Also, the new launcher that is planned will give testers exclusive access to the dev builds.
Whats to come next
With the weapon and logic systems implemented I have a lot off my plate. I plan update more frequently and not put so much into a build all at once.
The next few updates will focus on a redesign of the crafting system, then warp drives/gates will be coming. Along with that we will work on the content for the creature system (3d models etc.)
Thank you for playing StarMade,
The trade guild has just released secret footage of a prototype Isanth that they have long kept a secret.
Why have they suddenly come forward with this information?
After seeing lots of questions on the thread for this dev build, we thought it would be helpful to put some of the answers in the news so more players can easily understand what is occuring in the dev build as far as balance and effects in the new weapon system.
- Power - Its true that you current weapons may be using more power than before, currently I'm testing with everything using 10 power per 1 damage done, this may change, but I have to start testing somewhere. There may also be changes to increase the power system in the future, so things may change from that as well.
- Shields - Yes, shields are overpowered right now per block usage, but this will be decreased. We'd like to see the power/block usage requirements of shields be just slightly cheaper than your weapons, this will put a higher efficiency on defense over offense, lending towards longer instead of shorter fights, this gives you time to actually apply your piloting skills instead of simply running an equation on whose ship is bigger.
- Range - The thought behind the 3 range values being used are this;
- Long range - Cannon and Missile systems have a travel time and only impact a single point
- Medium range - Beam systems have no travel time, giving increased accuracy
- Short range - Pulse systems have a minimal travel time, but apply their damage amount to all blocks in range, the more blocks hit, the more damage overall damage occurs (50 dmg system = 50 dmg per block)
- Tertiary Effects - These are still having their mechanics adjusted to function properly, particularly the most recently added momentum effects and Ion effect. I talk with Schema daily about changes we need, solutions to problems that come up and report bugs encountered. I'm as anxious to get them working as the rest of you. Also, since there's been some confusion about what does what, here is a rundown;
- EMP - This mechanic is for you converting weapons damage into power reduction on the target ship.
- Ion - This effect converts weapons into shield ablating types. They gain an increased damage to shields at the cost of reduced damage against solid matter.
- Punch Through - This is to allow any damage remaining in a shot to punch through a block it just destroyed to impact the next block behind it, this may occur multiple times until a shots damage amount is used up.
- Piercing - This system will convert your weapons damage into a radiant type of damage, passing through all blocks in its path and dividing its damage among the blocks impacted, regardless of whether any are destroyed.
- Explosive - This effect converts your weapons impact point into an explosion, reducing the damage you do to the primary impacted block, but additionally doing damage to the blocks neighboring it.
- Stop - This acts like brakes to an affected target. Your system uses pulses (non constant) of inertia dampening, attempting to counteract the thrust of the target ship and bring it to a stop.
- Push - Pushes the affected target away from you. Your system uses pulses (non constant) of inertia to push the target ship.
- Pull - Works in the opposite manner of the Push Effect
- All Tertiary effect blocks also have a defensive use when not linked to a weapon system.
- New Weapons Menu has been added and should make assembling your new designs of weapons and understanding their output far easier.
Thanks for playing,
After a busy night, there is some more exciting news to share with you! First off, the bug testing on the dev build and weapons combos is coming along quickly, we cant wait to have it ready to let you play.
A few of the things we'd like to update you on are listed below, these are as always, subject to change (lets hope not though!)
- Some tweaks and fixes will probably be made, but I've finished updating the config this morning. Its awesome!
- Some new tidbits being added, the new ingots/crystal blocks should be in the next dev build.
- The color of weapons (only cannons so far) can now be modified by placing any light source block directly under the output block of a weapon group.
- To help make the new weapons be a bit more fun until the Ship HP system can be implemented, I am trying out a change to how Jamming and Cloaking draw power. Cloaking will now draw 145 power per block to maintain, however, Jamming will now ONLY drain 5 power per block to maintain. This means youll easily be able to jam the location of your core during combat as long as you have an adequate power supply (which you may loose once heavily damaged.) This leaves "Stealth" ships still requiring a full 150 per block to stealth as they have always been.
Thanks for playing,
Not everyone is an expert at making videos, but hopefully this short one I've made will give you a tantalizing glimpse inside the new weapon combo system.
Not all weapons were shown, as the long range weapon combos and the artilery style weapon combos are difficult to display and would have added considerable time to the video. All combos *are in the game and testing / bugfixing has been going hot all week.
Thanks for playing,
I'm happy to announce that the first round of updates to the Citizen Registry have been deployed. You are now able to add images to your blueprints, as well as several bugs have been worked out as well.
In the comming weeks we will be continuing to update the Registry to offer more features and services to aid in your exploration of the universe!
If you notice any issues, please submit a ticket via http://help.star-made.org/.
Until next time,
Miles 'wedtm' Smith
Thanks to everyone who contributed to the Q&A yesterday!
As promised, here is the text summary and audio recordings of the interveiw (video versions will be available soon as well)
I hope this has answered many of your questions. If you didn't get your question answered this time around, there will be more opportunities.
Thanks for playing,
First I'd like to apologize for being absent for a few days, some little troll let the magic smoke out of my counting box and it ceased to function. It took a few days, but it has been repaired and i am back at your service. Let's hope it never happens again ;)
Now on to the show you've all been waiting for.
The Q&A will be livestreamed on two channels (linked below.) Tomino and Raiben will be hosting the channels, they will also record the show to release on youtube for those unable to attend. The stream is starting a bit later than we had originally planned, but this is to accomodate Schema's schedule, as he will be joining us for this livestream.
Streams starts at 6pm EST (11pm GMT) and the Q&A starts at 7pm EST (12pm GMT)
Thank you all for the great questions you have submitted. We look forward to seeing you at the stream this evening.
- Greetings players!
We will be holding another Q&A session in two weeks (Sunday, April 20th.)
Details about the precise time and place will be posted as they are finalized.
You are encouraged to add your inquiries as comments at this link,
The questions will then be compiled into a list and discussed by the Dev's during the interview. Also during this stream we will show you some more of the progress Starmade has been making and discuss some of the soon to come content.
If you missed the last Q&A you may follow these links to access them in the following formats;
Thanks for playing,