I've come to test this game following a friend of mine ( pringles )
After few hours of testing, here are the improvements that i've thought of :
- Teleporters : To move from a point to another quickly within a space station.
- Spawn Definers : Block you can choose to revive at when you die.
You build a 'portal' that must be at least 2 of height and 1 of width ( so that there is enough space to spawn in )
You appear inside the boundaries of the Portal ( can be somekind of cylinder )
Designed to make respawn rooms in space stations.
Team/Player who owns the space station can choose it as respawn point.
- Navigation System : Actually, there is a navigation pannel. What i would see to it is a "auto-pilot" that makes your ship go to the destination, avoiding obstacle ( as asteroids ) so that the game don't crash/lag. You would also be able to choose the position of system you want to go to. This way, you could upgrade/repair or do something else during the travel if it's a long one. ( Cause being in front of your computer just for holding a key for maybe half an hour isn't that cool )
Weapons, Missiles and Beams : I've encountered some problems building them as i want. As for example, building 2 simetrical lasers, one will shoot 1 lasers, the other will shoot multiple with different firerate. Also, they might be coming from one of the laser module composing the entity that i don't want.
>> So, entities needs to be defined more strictly as 1 entity is equivalent to 1 laser/missile/beam and also, we should be able to define from which block the laser/missile/beam will come from. ( For example, i build a big "+" designed laser, and i want it to shoot 1 laser from the middle. Well, currently, it would shoot multiple lasers from an edge of "+" that i didn't choose. )
Bug using catalog : I've tried to buy a lot of ship without moving at a small buy interval ( like click,click,click on the buy button ), the first ship spawn well, but others spawned on him. It made the game go wrong ( i was teleported inside the planet hulls and had to dig my way out, and each time i went near the ship i had buyed, i was teleported back inside the planet )
>> Maybe set a cooldown for buying or at least set a security for it spawn restricted to the condition : " there is free space enought for the ship so that it doesn't stuck into another".
Doors and Energy Fields : This suggestion is designed more for space stations. Energy Fields are designed to contain a gravity, and be permeable to ships, blocks, lasers, missiles, people etc... So that when, a ship go through an energy Field, if you land it on the floor, he will stays there and someone going toward it won't be able to make it move ( as in space, if you go forward next the a ship, you can "push" it away. ). The ship is able to extract himself from that gravity with his thrusters.
Doors are a bit different, they have two state : open or close. When close, things can't get through them and they restrain gravity. When open, they let gravity influence players, and ships etc ... and things are able to pass through it.
>> The objective of those would be to set a gravity in a space station other than the one set by Gravity block, and to set that a closed room has its gravity while a open one is subject the space gravity. It could be fun, when you are in a space station under attack, that if the corridor where you are is breached, you start going off the floor and moving like in space until you reach a door and close it behind you. ( Still i have no idea if it's possible or easy to realise )
Docking Module : First of all, it would be great being able to connect Docking Module between themselves and mustn't have to be connected to a core. Futhermore, 1 Docking module link gets the ship attached a 3 rotation liberty. ( Turn of himself, Rotate arount the link to the right-left, Rotate around the link to Front-Back )
But being able to set more than one Docking link would restrain that liberty. 2 Links would leave only 1 rotation liberty ( Rotation perpendicular the segment that separate the two links ) and thus, 3 Links would make the ship unable to move.
>> This way, docking would be used for more purposes : 3 for landing ships, 2 for rotating objets and 1 for turrets.
Shorcuts : It would be cool if we could also define actions in the Keyboard option with the mouse ( right click, left click, scroll up/down, scroll click, button4/5 ) And also that we could switch to next weapon ( by scrolling for exemple ) to be quicker switching weapons.
Docking : When we dock two ships they aren't connected nicely, they got stuck in each other etc...
I suggest that when you dock you have to choose a direction in which block allows the docking then the dock module and the core are stuck next to each other as if they had been built like this. This way, the ship with the docked ship would seem as a single ship.
Thrust, Mass and Speed : I think that the way you choose to limit the speed depending on the mass is wrong :s
You set mass to be exponential ( or maybe just logariithm ) but that's wrong. I've built a 300 000 cost ship that had to get half of his blocks as thrusters ! Also, after going above 0.5, it's easy for a huge ship to get to 50 which should not be.
So, i suggest that you set mass to be linear depending on the blocks ( the weight of the blocks may vary depending on the blocks though ) and that you set thrusters to a speed that make them support approximately xx blocks.
Then to limit the speed of big vessels, you add a new formula, depending on the mass that sets a thrust limit. This way : the speed of huge ships is always limited by their mass and adding thrust so that the thrust mass is above 0.5 is easy. Maybe you could set the mass for the 0.5 speed as the mass of a planet and set a formula that goes from 50 speed for 0 mass, to 0.5 for planets mass. The following formula works pretty well ( but the 2000 coefficient is to change if you set the mass not to be exponential ) : max_thrust=(-atan(mass/2000)+pi/2)*(100/pi)
- Private catalog : i think it could be nice if players could decide to share or not their creations with others.
- Stasis Mine : That would be a new core i think for a mine, ( or maybe a module that set a mine below the ship that drop it ). Anyway, it would be a block holding itself in space and that would stop the ship for a small duration if there is a physial contact between the ship and the mine.
- Ion weapon : Would be a laser that would disconnect the hitted module from the core or the weapon controller. Doing so would prevent the ship from firing or moving if the weapons, controllers, thrusters, core, shields, etc are hitted. Still no damages would be made to hull with this weapon and no block would be removed.
- Asteroids : Now, we can harvest them for their blocks and reuse those blocks but we should be able to sell them also i believe.
- Reconstructor Laser : An idea for a new module that would take hull from inventory and place them on the structure hitted by the laser. It could be use to repair planets. However, this laser shouldn't be putting the blocks too fast.
- Cockpit Module : when making a big ship, we have blocks in the view because the view is from the core block it seems. Well, it can be quite hard to have a good sight with all thoses blocks and a cockpit module would set the view from that cockpit. After that, i've not thought about when the cockpit is destroyed but maybe when destroyed the view would be back to the core.
- Thruster/Warp Modules : A new module, Warp, that would make the ship go in straight line at a high speed. They would be great for traveling. Thrusters would be used for fighting ableing the ship to turn as they actually do. But they would get a max speed depending on the ship mass. This way, huge ships would be having a low velocity in combat but could travel fast with warp and small ships might get high speed in fights and travel with warp also.
- More planets : Could be cool to have more planets ( neutral ones ) with various radious. Maybe team could take the control over them ( by shooting the core ? ) so that the team would gain a higher income in credits depending on the number and size of the planets he owns.
- Shields and battery : I suggest that shields use the ship's battery when taking damages and that they switch off when either the player decides it or when there is no battery left. This would lead the players to make a decision about shooting back or not taking damages depending on his battery (bigger ships have bigger batteries and are more able to hold a shield) . Futhermore, the shield comsumption on battery would depend on his size and lasers would deal more damages to the shield than a missile. It would bring more strategic options about using lasers or missiles depending if the shield is active or not.
- Missiles : Missiles are doing lots of damages and aren't restricted in quantities yet. This is why, it might be better to restrict their number to 2-3 missiles per entities ( an entity represent the set of block for 1 missile with it's speed, damages, range etc... ) so that they have to be used more carefully. Meanwhile, when out of stock, these missiles could be bought at nearest shop with an affordable cost.
- Stealth Module : This is a new module idea of a block that would temporarily remove the ship from the indicators on others ship screen , using significant energy from batteries. However, this wouldn't get the ship invisible. Doing this might give players the ability to set traps or ambush others.
- Team Orbital Stations : This would be some kind of ship, buildable by a team using some new modules beginning with a team station core ( more expensive than a ship core ). The benefit of such a team station would be to share the modules they buy from shops by placing them on the station. For this reason, the station's depot capacity would be determined by the amount of "Depot Module" on the stations. Moreover, a player of the team could build a new ship there according to the catalog ( a catalog that the station wouldn't share with shops so that team could have more privacy for the ship they build ) and to the modules disponible in the depot. The station would also get some advantages over ship, as the other team can't enter it and steal modules from it, they could only destroy it.
- Docking : A ship can be docked to another but, they can't be undocked yet. This would be a usefull feature.
- 3rd Person Combat Mode : Actually, it's a First Person combat mode that prevent us from having a quick look at our ship damages while a 3rd Person would allow us to have a quick look at it ( maybe even rotate the view around the ship while maintening Alt and moving the mouse ) while fighting.
- Shields / Lasers / Missiles Balance : Actually, the way we can build lasers and missiles make them too strong. So maybe add a max range for lasers and missiles that match with the distance we can see and set limits to damages and speed. Also, i believe that ships should resist more with hull and shields to the weapons than they actually do.
- Ship Saves : Actually, on a game we can save our ship and build it according to some golds. I believe it would be better if we could save them on our HD and load them on other games ( for example, i build my ship for a hour on one game and then can use it again on others by loading it in the shop )
- Speed : I've not seen any limits to the speed a ship can go. But i would recommand that after 30 of speed for example, the ship is considered in "Light Speed" and can only go straight until he reduce his speed. This would allow ships to leave a battle but not to fight moving around at incredible speed. However, the speed limit for control could depend on the ship size ( a small ship should move easier than a big one )
- Set AI on our ship : I think it would be great if we could build a ship and set a AI for it right after if we want to. AI should also be given orders like protect from a main ship that would give direction to smallers ship controlled by AI for example.
Thanks for reading,